Monday, February 4, 2013

Discovering Torino

Ciao a tutti! I have been living here in Torino for about three weeks now and I can't believe how many things I have experienced in such a short time. There are so many things I want to share that it's hard to decide where to start! The one thing I want to mention first is how fast time goes by here. I'm realizing quickly how important it is to take advantage of every minute of every day. Four months seems like a long time, but it will pass you by in a heartbeat if you let it!

One thing that has definitely been a priority for me is exploring Torino. It is very easy to get so caught up in planning trips to other areas that you forget to take time to discover all Torino has to offer. There is a huge abundance of history, art, and culture available here in the city.

If you're interested in exploring what Torino has to offer, there is a museum pass available (at a really great discounted price for students) that allows access to a multitude of museums, royal palaces, castles, gardens, and exhibitions located throughout the Piemonte region. The pass is only 30 € for students and will easily pay for itself over and over. The pass can be purchased through InfoPiemonte, located in Piazza Castello at a the corner of Via Garibaldi. Be sure to tell them that you want the student yearly pass and bring both your student ID card as well as any document that contains your birth date (you must be under 26 to claim the discount). This is a really great deal for any one who wants to really explore the local area.

Since the Italian class is every week day for six weeks, it is difficult (and not really worth it) to plan trips very far from Torino. I think these six weeks are a great time to really get to know the city. Using my museum pass, I have already visited the Palazza Reale (Royal Palace of Torino), the famous Mole Antonelliana/National Cinema Museum (where you can see a panoramic view of the whole city), and the Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi. I feel that the pass was well worth the relatively small amount I paid for it, and will definitely encourage me to see as much of this area as possible. I hope this is helpful!

InfoPiemonte will also give you a book containing all of the different sites the pass gives you access to (there are TONS), all located in and around Torino. The booklet also provides internet links for each of the attractions that will usually tell you the best way to get there. You can also visit http://www.abbonamentomusei.it/pages/Abbonamento_Musei/138 for more information about the pass or feel free to e-mail either Hannah or myself if you have questions! Ciao for now!


Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi (about a 40 minute journey from Porta Nuova)

Palazza Reale

Hannah at the top of the Mole

Mole Antonelliana/National Cinema Museum



No comments:

Post a Comment