Monday, April 22, 2013

Food!

I feel like I have been in Torino long enough to offer up my favorite places to get food. Obviously, I don't have the time or money to try all that Torino has to offer, but below are places that are cheap, so good, and consistent.

First off my favorite gelaterias...because gelato is the most important food group and one place is certainly not enough:

Più Di Un Gelato located by the library and off of Via Garibaldi.
Get Pera della Nonna and Stracciatella con Caffè.
2 euros for a small cone with two flavors.

Alberto Marchetti located on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.
Get Pistacchio and Zabaione (my favorite Gelato flavor!) and get it in a cone, because they have the very best cones (most places serve the carboard tasting cones/charge extra for the nice ones...not here!).
2 euros for a small cone with two flavors.

Another commonly eaten food among students...Kebabs! My favorite place is:

El Shish Kebab off of Via Madama Christina, near the Nizza metro stop.
Everyone that I have taken here (especially Erin) love it!
The owner and everyone working there are super friendly.
They are expanding now!
Get anything. And especially the hot tea, which comes free anyhow!
3.50 for a Kebab, 5 for a Kebab, drink, and fries.

I have recently become obsessed with focaccia. For those who don't know, focaccia is a thickly baked delicious bread that can be just flavored with olive oil or meat or vegetables. The best focaccia comes from the Ligurian coast, but since that is two hours too far away, I happily settle for focaccia from:

Focaccia Tipica Ligure located near Piazza San Carlo, in Piazza Castello, and a few block down Via Po.
If you like zucchini, get the focaccia with zucchini!
2.50 for a piece with meat or veggies on it, only 1 for a plain piece.

Other yummy places I have eaten:
Eatly (famous for the slow food movement) has very delicious margherita pizza.
The persian restaurant on a side street right off of Via Garibaldi near Piazza Castello. I can't remember its name, but I had the best chicken of my life there and I'm not a huge chicken fan.
Alla Lettera on my street, Via Giuseppe Mazzini! Kyra and I ate in their outside seating in the piazza and it was super amazing! A bit pricey but really delicious and fresh Italian food.
Dear Wendy Sweets also on my street. Amazing Cupcakes! Enough said.

Squid Ink Pasta with Calamari, Asparagus, and Tomatoes
from Alla Lettera
Zucchini Focaccia from Tipica Ligure
Lime cupcake from Dear Wendy Sweets

I'm sure I am missing something or will find a place within the last week, but here are my suggestions for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment